On 11/07/2016 11:21 AM, Paul Burton wrote:
Hi Larry,

On Monday, 7 November 2016 09:26:37 GMT Larry Finger wrote:
A revert was already submitted by Hans de Goede & is being discussed over
here:

https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=147826151427455&w=2

I am a little surprised that I was not CCd on that thread.

Hans started that thread without copying you just as you started your thread
without copying Andreas, who reported issues first.

My searching had failed to find his report.

To reiterate, my
PowerBook G4 with a PPC32 processor CRASHES on boot. That is a lot more
serious than the console output disappearing.

Crashes as in init dies due to lack of a console, right?

It gets a kernel panic because of an attempt to kill process 1 (init). It then waits 120 seconds and tries to reboot.

As it seems unlikely that this regression will be fixed in the current
cycle, I recommend that the reversion of commit 05fd007e4629 until a proper
fix is available.

I agree that reverting is probably the best option for now, and have replied
with that in the other thread too.

Good.

Larry