On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 02:54:13PM +1100, Russell Currey wrote:
> Symbolic macros are unintuitive and hard to read, whereas octal constants
> are much easier to interpret.  Replace macros for the basic permission
> flags (user/group/other read/write/execute) with numeric constants
> instead, across the whole powerpc tree.

I know Linus said otherwise, but I wonder if the churn is worth it.
At user mode (do man 2 chmod), these constants are used frequently,
even with chmod the command we use chmod a+r equivalents or chmod
u+r. My big concern with numbers is how do you know you did not
turn on the sticky bit for a file? Can you imagine if someone used
0x644 or 0x444 would we catch it?

Not resisting, but thinking if the churn and what follows might be
OK.

Balbir Singh.