Anton Vorontsov wrote:
This isn't a timer with usec precision! This is a timer that silently
crops precision as it wants to. Ahh, I see you dropped "u" prefix.

It is a timer with usec precision, unless you ask for a timeout of more than 65535 usec -- at which point the hardware can't provide usec precision.

And s/as it wants to/as it needs to/.

Well. I'm not going to use it anyway, so just give it some name you
prefer and I'll wrap it into the patch. Preferably, drop a line here with
kerneldoc for it, so I'll not have to document its drawbacks. :-)

/**
 * gtm_reset_timer16 - reset 16 bit timer with arbitrary precision
 * @tmr: pointer to the gtm_timer structure obtained from gtm_get_timer
 * @usec: timer interval in microseconds
 * @reload: if set, the timer will reset upon expiry rather than
 * continue running free.
 *
 * This function (re)sets the GTM timer so that it counts up to the
 * requested interval value, and fires the interrupt when the value is
 * reached.  This function will reduce the precision of the timer as
 * needed in order for the requested timeout to fit in a 16-bit
 * register.
 */
int gtm_reset_timer16(struct gtm_timer *tmr, unsigned long usec,
                      bool reload)
{
}

It could be made faster using cntlzw.

No need to cntlzw, there is fls() already.

fls() uses cntlzw, does it not? I was just too lazy to look up what Linux calls it. :-)

Though, here you'll need two because of u64.

We can probably get away with 32 bits.

Btw, I hope you aware that single GTM timer running at 166MHz will give you
6 minutes of sleep, maximum.

Yes, but it's all we have on-chip that can do the job.

With cascaded timer you'll get much better
result of 310 days. Is that possible to use cascaded timer as a wakeup
event on 8313?

No, unfortunately. Only timer4 can be a wakeup source, and when cascaded, timer4 is the input to timer3, rather than the other way around.

-Scott