On May 2, 2008, at 12:34 PM, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

<brokenrecord>
Why don't we just link with libgcc?
</brokenrecord>

Its something of a PITA to do that in the kernel at this point since we've duplicated libgcc functionality in it. I'm sure there are some historical reasons this wasn't done to start with.

That's the same as saying that it would be a nice cleanup to remove all
that duplicated code now...

We'll hopefully this thread might spark either an explanation for why we aren't just linking libgcc in a statement that says we should and we can remove the code that implements libgcc functionality.

How would libgcc linking intermix with modules? Would we have to EXPORT_SYMBOL() all functions that libgcc implements? I'm guessing that's varies w/different gcc versions.

- k