I think that adding zImage.* to clean-files is a bad idea, because we
have zImage.lds.S, zImage.coff.lds.S and zImage.ps3.lds.S in
arch/powerpc/boot that we don't want deleted.  It would be OK for
compiling with a separate object directory but would be bad for
compiling in the source directory.

Arguably this suggests we should rename either the lds files or the
zImages so that we *can* get a pattern to match.

Not really.  Just define a $(ALL_ZIMAGES) var and use that everywhere.
I would be pretty upset if "make clean" decided to delete my zImage.backup,
etc.

Segher