On Monday, 7 June 2021, Aneesh Kumar K.V <aneesh.ku...@linux.ibm.com> wrote:

> This patchset enables MOVE_PMD/MOVE_PUD support on power. This requires
> the platform to support updating higher-level page tables without
> updating page table entries. This also needs to invalidate the Page Walk
> Cache on architecture supporting the same.
>
> Changes from v6:
> * Update ppc64 flush_tlb_range to invalidate page walk cache.

I'd really rather not do this, I'm not sure if micro bench mark captures
everything.

Page tables coming from L2/L3 probably aren't the primary purpose or
biggest benefit of intermediate level caches.

The situation on POWER with nest mmu (coherent accelerators) is magnified.
They have huge page walk cashes to make up for the fact they don't have
data caches for walking page tables which makes the invalidation more
painful in terms of subsequent misses, but also latency to invalidate (can
be order of microseconds whereas a page invalidate is a couple of orders of
magnitude faster).

Yes it is a deficiency of the ppc invalidation architecture, we are aware
and would like to improve it but for now those is what we have.

Thanks,
Nick