Well, I just don't see the point of having two different properties that say the same thing. I'm not an IEE 1275 purist, so I don't think we should be hampered by old node definitions. I especially don't like having a property specifically
for indexing I2C nodes that can't be used to enumerate other nodes.

It's not about purity.  It's about overloading something that has
existing semantics just because you have one usecase that you _think_
needs it.

If everyone did that, this whole device tree concept is going to just
be one big cluster f*ck.

One important way of preventing this overloading and death-by-complexity
is to make most properties specific to a particular binding.  It is good
if other bindings that need similar functionality can use similar
properties, or sometimes even identical ones; but there are only a few
properties that are defined for *every* node.

Trying to make stuff too generic just doesn't work.

Segher