On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 08:05:21AM +0000, Christophe Leroy wrote:

> +#define ARCH_DEFINE_STATIC_CALL_NULL_TRAMP(name)                     \
> +     asm(".pushsection .text, \"ax\"                         \n"     \
> +         ".align 4                                           \n"     \
> +         ".globl " STATIC_CALL_TRAMP_STR(name) "             \n"     \
> +         STATIC_CALL_TRAMP_STR(name) ":                      \n"     \
> +         "   blr                                             \n"     \
> +         "   nop                                             \n"     \
> +         "   nop                                             \n"     \
> +         "   nop                                             \n"     \
> +         ".type " STATIC_CALL_TRAMP_STR(name) ", @function   \n"     \
> +         ".size " STATIC_CALL_TRAMP_STR(name) ", . - "
> STATIC_CALL_TRAMP_STR(name) " \n" \
> +         ".popsection                                        \n")

> +static int patch_trampoline_32(u32 *addr, unsigned long target)
> +{
> +     int err;
> +
> +     err = patch_instruction(addr++, ppc_inst(PPC_RAW_LIS(_R12,
> PPC_HA(target))));
> +     err |= patch_instruction(addr++, ppc_inst(PPC_RAW_ADDI(_R12, _R12,
> PPC_LO(target))));
> +     err |= patch_instruction(addr++, ppc_inst(PPC_RAW_MTCTR(_R12)));
> +     err |= patch_instruction(addr, ppc_inst(PPC_RAW_BCTR()));
> +
> +     return err;
> +}

There can be concurrent execution and modification; the above doesn't
look safe in that regard. What happens if you've say, done the first
two, but not the latter two and execution happens (on a different
CPU or through IRQ context, etc..)?

> +void arch_static_call_transform(void *site, void *tramp, void *func, bool
> tail)
> +{
> +     int err;
> +     unsigned long target = (long)func;
> +
> +     if (!tramp)
> +             return;
> +
> +     mutex_lock(&text_mutex);
> +
> +     if (!func)
> +             err = patch_instruction(tramp, ppc_inst(PPC_RAW_BLR()));
> +     else if (is_offset_in_branch_range((long)target - (long)tramp))
> +             err = patch_branch(tramp, target, 0);

These two are single instruction modifications and I'm assuming the
hardware is sane enough that execution sees either the old or the new
instruction. So this should work.

> +     else if (IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_PPC32))
> +             err = patch_trampoline_32(tramp, target);
> +     else
> +             BUILD_BUG();
> +
> +     mutex_unlock(&text_mutex);
> +
> +     if (err)
> +             panic("%s: patching failed %pS at %pS\n", __func__, func,
> tramp);
> +}
> +EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(arch_static_call_transform);

One possible solution that we explored on ARM64, was having the
trampoline be in 2 slots:

        b 1f

1:      blr
        nop
        nop
        nop

2:      blr
        nop
        nop
        nop

Where initially the first slot is active (per "b 1f"), then you write
the second slot, and as a final act, re-write the initial branch to
point to slot 2.

Then you execute synchronize_rcu_tasks() under your text mutex
(careful!) to ensure all users of your slot1 are gone and the next
modification repeats the whole thing, except for using slot1 etc..

Eventually I think Ard came up with the latest ARM64 proposal which puts
a literal in a RO section (could be the text section I suppose) and
loads and branches to that.

Anyway, the thing is, you can really only modify a single instruction at
the time and need to ensure concurrent execution is correct.