On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 11:46:49AM +0000, Mark Rutland wrote:
> I'm not sure how x86 works here; AFAICT the relocations are performed during
> decompression, but it looks like there's some special build-time processing
> associated with that, and the vmlinux doesn't contain standard ELF
> relocations.
>
> Kees, IIUC you added the x86_64 support there, can you shed any light on
> if/how
> this works on x86?

I think Sven beat me to it, and this was answered in
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/yt9dy231gzae....@linux.ibm.com
but let me know if anything needs further info.

An additional note is that x86 is built with "-2G addressing"
(-mcmodel=kernel). There was some work done to make it actually
PIE, which would allow the KASLR base to move further:
https://github.com/KSPP/linux/issues/38

-Kees

--
Kees Cook