Yes.  As a side note, since there are multiple devices that contain
e.g. a sec-1.0, it would be prudent to describe the exact incarnation
in the device tree, like "mpc8272-sec" or something, in either "model"

but 'fsl,sec-X.Y' /does/ describe the exact incarnation,

No it doesn't.  If it's on a different SoC, it can have different
bugs.  It might be _meant_ to be exactly the same, but that's not
the same thing.

whereas
'fsl,mpc8349-sec' /does not/.  "fsl,mpc8349-sec' might mean the SEC 2.1
or the SEC 2.4, it depends on the revision of the mpc8349.

Oh, nasty.  That just means you'll need to put the revision of
the 8349 in there as well, though -- "fsl,mpc8349-rev2-sec" or
something.

or "compatible", just in case a problem shows up with one of them.

I thought 'model' was superseded by 'compatible';

"model" is still a valid property.  "model" shouldn't be needed
to find which device driver to use, but any specific device driver
can use it just fine.

that's why it's taken out here, along with device_type.

"device_type" simply isn't useful for flat device trees (in pretty
much all cases), since it describes the OF programming model of a
device, and almost none of that applies to flat trees.  So yeah,
taking that out is a good thing (esp. in a case like this, where
it isn't defined anywhere what device_type "crypto" means).

I can't find a manual online for "freescale sec"; googling
for "freescale sec-1.0" finds a manual for the PowerQUICC I;
is that the right one?  I don't know, so the binding needs
to explain it to me.

the binding shouldn't be responsible for google's shortcomings

The binding needs to describe what device it is for.  I am a stupid
user, just like most users, so if the binding doesn't tell me I turn
to google.  Don't blame them for not finding it; the binding should
have told me in the first place!

Again, I don't see how google's results are pertinent in this
discussion.

It's not about google.  It's about a user who needs to find out
what a certain "compatible" entry means, or who needs to find out
what value to use for a certain device.

btw, the title for the binding is:

  g) Freescale SOC SEC Security Engines

Is that what you are looking for?

I'm not looking for the binding, I know where it is, thanks; I'm
looking for information in the binding that tells me what "compatible"
value means what.

If not, what precisely?  a list of
all the parts?  There's an SEC in every mpc8[35]xxE!

You could do a list of all, sure.  You could also say what a
"compatible" value looks like, and give some representative
examples.

The binding at a minimum should describe how to identify each
unique version from the device tree, no matter how miniscule
those differences are.  Just a specific "compatible" value will
do.

I'm at a loss; isn't that what this patch does?

I lost the patch, sorry.  I came into this thread at the point where
Grant said that "fsl,sec1.0" is a horrible "compatible" value.

Currently the driver matches on "fsl,sec2.0", and if needs be, will
call of_device_is_compatible with the version number that introduces
the feature it wants to implement.

That's okay I suppose.  Each device tree still should put the exact
version of the chip in there as well.

Segher