On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 03:17:59PM +0300, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 01:25:05PM -0500, Rob Herring wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 5:56 PM Olof Johansson <o...@lixom.net> wrote:

> > > I stand corrected in this case, the issue on the Hifive Unmatched was
> > > a regression due to a PWM clock change -- I just sent a patch for that
> > > (serial driver fix).
> > >
> > > So it seems like as long as the fw_devlink.strict=1 patch is reverted,
> > > things are back to a working state here.
> > >
> > > I still struggle with how the fw_devlink patchset is expected to work
> > > though, since DT is expected to describe the hardware configuration,
> > > and it has no knowledge of whether there are drivers that will be
> > > bound to any referenced supplier devnodes. It's not going to work well
> > > to assume that they will always be bound, and to add 10 second
> > > timeouts for those cases isn't a good solution. Seems like the number
> > > of special cases will keep adding up.
> >
> > Since the introduction of deferred probe, the kernel has always
> > assumed if there is a device described, then there is or will be a
> > driver for it. The result is you can't use new DTs (if they add
> > providers) with older kernels.
> >
> > We've ended up with a timeout because no one has come up with a better
> > way to handle it. What the kernel needs is userspace saying "I'm done
> > too.
>
> In my opinion the deferred probe is a big hack and that is the root
> cause of the issues we have here and there. It has to be redesigned
> to be mathematically robust. It was an attempt by Andrzej Hajda to
> solve this [1].
>
> [1]:
> https://events19.linuxfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Deferred-Problem-Issues-With-Complex-Dependencies-Between-Devices-in-Linux-Kernel-Andrzej-Hajda-Samsung.pdf

deferred probe has _ALWAYS_ been known to be a hack, way back when we
accepted it, but it was the best hack we had to solve a real problem
that we had, so it was accepted.

It's been polished over the years, but yes, it does break down at times,
due to the crazy complexity of hardware systems that we have no control
over.

If you have concrete solutions for how to solve the issue, wonderful,
please submit patches :)

thanks,

greg k-h