On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:13:14AM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 7/14/08, Mark Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Ideally someone from the PowerPC community would sign off on this -
> >  given the nature and volume of discussion people obviously have very

> Grant is one of the core PowerPC developers. There's no big

OK, fair enough...

> Hopefully we can get the driver model sorted out in v2. If the ASoC
> driver model is fixed all of this glue code disappears.

> The PowerPC side isn't without fault too. PowerPC still doesn't have a
> good way to load the fabric/machine driver.

I'm finding it difficult to square these two statements - from an ASoC
point of view the main thing this patch is doing is adding a machine
driver and that's not something that's going to go away.  With version 2
you will get the wait for all components to come on-line logic that's
implemented here from the ASoC core but that doesn't remove the need for
a machine driver to tell the core what to wait for and arrange any
machine specific things like clocking.  It's this debate about machine
drivers that makes me nervous here.

Like I say, from an ASoC point of view it's not an issue and the current
approach is fine.

> Which are we going to call it, fabric or machine? I had been working
> on the Apple code in sound/aoa. It is called fabric in that code. The
> equivalent driver is called machine in ASoC v1.

ASoC has always called it a machine driver.

> >  > This is most likely temporary glue code to work around limitations in
> >  > the ASoC v1 framework.  I expect ASoC v2 won't need this.
> >

> > It will need some way of providing a machine driver, generic (like this
> >  one) or otherwise.

[BTW, it'd be helpful if you could delete unreferenced quotes when you
reply - it makes things much easier to read, especially when reviewing
lengthy patches.  Unfortunately the GMail UI encourages doing this :(]