[putting linuxppc-dev on Cc:, hope you don't mind]

On 24 jul 2008, at 08:32, Chuck Meade wrote:

I wanted to reply to your original message regarding this, but sadly I
had
already deleted it.  So I am sending directly to you.

This patch broke my link.

Sorry.  I didn't test with anything _that_ ancient.

Reverting it, I am again able to link the latest
git fetch of the kernel, but with your patch, my ld breaks.

I am using binutils 2.15, successfully until this patch was applied
yesterday.

What target / what config / what exact GCC version / what
exact binutils version / why are you using such an ancient
toolchain anyway?  :-)

I have been using gcc 3.4.4 and binutils 2.15 up to this point without
problems.  Yes they are not cutting-edge by any means,

Updating to GCC 3.4.6 might be a good idea, it's the latest bug fix
release in the 3.4 series.  I agree PowerPC Linux should still be
buildable with GCC 3.4; I don't think we really care about 3.3 or
older anymore though.

but the concern
here is that this patch causes the linker to fail for the first time.
Up until now the link has worked fine, and if I revert this patch, the
link continues to work well.

Yeah, I understand.  I'm not saying you need to upgrade your toolchain
(or, I'm not yet saying that anyway; will have to see what causes this
problem first); I just said I neglected to test with anything that old.

For one of my customers, we use a customized build system that can share
cross toolsets for builds of multiple platforms.  So the fact that
these tools have worked for us cross several 83xx platforms for a long
time is valuable.  It would be highly desirable to have the linker
continue to work.

Sure, I'll try my best to find out what is wrong, and fix it for you
if possible.

I am very willing to work with you and test the alternative patch ideas
you have for vmlinux.lds.S on my tools here.  This patch was in the
general interest of backwards-compatibility with pre-2.18 binutils anyway.

Yes, exactly: 2.6.26 does not build with binutils 2.17.

I can help you by testing on 2.15. Send me alternate vmlinux.lds.S files
to try, and I will test and get back to you ASAP.

No, I will not send you randomly changed source files and hope they
will do something useful for you.  Instead, why not provide me the
information I asked for?  What target (arch/powerpc it sounds like?)
What _exact_ binutils version (FSF 2.15?)  What _exact_ GCC version
(FSF 3.4.4?)  What Linux config (either the full .config, or the
name of a defconfig)?

The link error, in case you were wondering, was:

Yes, I forgot to ask for that :-)

powerpc-8325-linux-gnu-ld: final link failed: File truncated

What was the command line here?  Was it the linking of vmlinux?

Segher