+ @Rafael for the APEI/GHES part.

On 2023/9/22 05:52, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 08:10:19PM +0800, Shuai Xue wrote:
>> On 2023/9/21 07:02, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
>>> On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 05:39:58PM +0800, Shuai Xue wrote:
>
>>> I guess your point is that for CPER_SEV_FATAL errors, the APEI/GHES
>>> path always panics but the native path never does, and that maybe both
>>> paths should work the same way?
>>
>> Yes, exactly. Both OS native and APEI/GHES firmware first are notifications
>> used to handles PCIe AER errors, and IMHO, they should ideally work in the
>> same way.
>
> I agree, that would be nice, but the whole point of the APEI/GHES
> functionality is vendor value-add, so I'm not sure we can achieve that
> ideal.

>> As a result, AER driver only does recovery for non-fatal PCIe error.
>
> This is only true for the APEI/GHES path, right?  For *native* AER
> handling, we attempt recovery for both fatal and non-fatal errors.

Yes, exactly.

>>> It doesn't seem like the native path should always panic.  If we can
>>> tell that data was corrupted, we may want to panic, but otherwise I
>>> don't think we should crash the entire system even if some device is
>>> permanently broken.
>>
>> Got it. But how can we tell if the data is corrupted with OS native?
>
> I naively expect that by PCIe protocol, corrupted DLLPs or TLPs
> detected by CRC, sequence number errors, etc, would be discarded
> before corrupting memory, so I doubt we'd get an uncorrectable error
> that means "sorry, I just corrupted your data."
>
> But DPC is advertised as "avoiding the potential spread of any data
> corruption," so there must be some mechanisms of corruption, and since
> DPC is triggered by either ERR_FATAL or ERR_NONFATAL, I guess maybe
> the errors could tell us something.  I'm going to quit speculating
> because I obviously don't know enough about this area.

>>> The only mention of Data Link Protocol Error that looks relevant is
>>> PCIe r6.0, sec 3.6.2.2, which basically says a DLLP with an unexpected
>>> Sequence Number should be discarded:
>>>
>>>   For Ack and Nak DLLPs, the following steps are followed (see Figure
>>>   3-21):
>>>
>>>     - If the Sequence Number specified by the AckNak_Seq_Num does not
>>>       correspond to an unacknowledged TLP, or to the value in
>>>       ACKD_SEQ, the DLLP is discarded
>>>
>>>       - This is a Data Link Protocol Error, which is a reported error
>>>     associated with the Port (see Section 6.2).
>>>
>>> So data from that DLLP should not have made it to memory, although of
>>> course the DMA may not have been completed.  But it sounds like you
>>> did see corrupted data written to memory?
>>
>> The storage node use RDMA to directly access remote compute node.
>> And a error detected by CRC in the storage node. So I suspect yes.
>
> When doing the CRC, can you distinguish between corrupted data and
> data that was not written because a DMA was only partially completed?

Yes, the receiving application layer will perform length verification.
So the data length is definitely correct.

>> I tried to inject Data Link Protocol Error on some platform. The mechanism
>> behind is that rootport controls the sequence number of the specific TLPs
>> and ACK/NAK DLLPs. Data Link Protocol Error will be detected at the Rx side
>> of ACK/NAK DLLPs.
>>
>> In such case, NIC and NVMe recovered on fatal and non-fatal DLLP
>> errors.
>
> I'm guessing this error injection directly writes the AER status bit,
> which would probably only test the reporting (sending an ERR_FATAL
> message), AER interrupt generation, firmware or OS interrupt handling,
> etc.
>
> It probably would not actually generate a DLLP with a bad sequence
> number, so it probably does not test the hardware behavior of
> discarding the DLLP if the sequence number is bad.  Just my guess
> though.

No, we don't touch AER status bit. The Root port controller provides Error
Injection Function to trigger a real DLLP error. For example,

- set a bad Bad sequence number, assuming 3
- enable error injection
- send a TLP from the controller's Application Interface, assuming SEQ#5 is
  given to the TLP
- the SEQ# is Changed to #2 by the Error Injection Function in Layer2.

>> My point is that how kernel could recover from non-fatal and fatal
>> errors in firmware first without DPC? If CPER_SEV_FATAL is used to
>> report fatal PCIe error, kernel will panic in APEI/GHES driver.
>
> The platform decides whether to use CPER_SEV_FATAL, so we can't change
> that.  We *could* change whether Linux panics when the platform says
> an error is CPER_SEV_FATAL.  That happens in drivers/acpi, so it's
> really up to Rafael.

Agreed. Of course, we are talking about and focus on the desired behavior
of Linux kernel.

> Personally I would want to hear from vendors who use the APEI/GHES
> path.  Poking around the web for logs that mention HEST and related
> things, it looks like at least Dell, HP, and Lenovo use it.  And there
> are drivers/acpi/apei commits from nxp.com, alibaba.com, amd.com,
> arm.com huawei.com, etc., so some of them probably care, too.

Aha, sure. In OS native mode, kernel controls everything, directly acting
on the MSI, checking AER status and do recovery for CE, non-fatal and fatal
errors. While for firmware first, as it name indicates, the kernel and
firmware co-work together to handle processor, memory, PCIe and
platform specific errors.

Actually, this is a question from my colleague from firmware team.
The original question is that:

    "Should I set CPER_SEV_FATAL for Generic Error Status Block when a
    PCIe fatal error is detected? If set, kernel will always panic.
    Otherwise, kernel will always not panic."

So I pull a question about desired behavior of Linux kernel first :)
>From the perspective of the kernel, CPER_SEV_FATAL for Generic Error
Status Block is not reasonable. The kernel will attempt to recover
Fatal errors, although recovery may fail.

Best Regards,
Shuai