Grant Likely wrote:

Doing so should simplify adding new board ports.  In many cases it
would just involve dropping in a new .dts file.  However, it retains
the flexability of overriding generic code with platform specific
fixups as the need arises.

If it makes it easier for board vendors to do a clean port, you get a vote from me.

I've seen a large amount of vendor code from that needed a lot of massaging before it would play nice with support for similar boards from other vendors--not to mention how ugly it looked with all the board-specific ifdefs.

Chris