From: Segher Boessenkool
> Sent: 16 April 2024 11:38
>
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 03:02:52PM +0530, Naresh Kamboju wrote:
> > In file included from arch/powerpc/include/asm/io.h:672:
> > arch/powerpc/include/asm/io-defs.h:43:1: error: performing pointer
> > arithmetic on a null pointer has undefined behavior
> > [-Werror,-Wnull-pointer-arithmetic]
>
> It is not UB, but just undefined: the program is meaningless.
>
> It is not a null pointer but even a null pointer constant here.  It
> matters in places, including here.
>
> It would help if the warnings were more correct :-(

Isn't it only a problem because the NULL pointer isn't required to
be the all-zero bit pattern?

So when do we get a warning from using memset() on a structure
that contains pointers? Since it is equally buggy.

Has anyone ever seen a system where NULL wasn't 'all zeros'?
I've used a system where the 'native' invalid pointer was 'all ones',
but even there the C code used 'all zeros'.

        David

-
Registered Address Lakeside, Bramley Road, Mount Farm, Milton Keynes, MK1 1PT,
UK
Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)