Trent Piepho wrote:
The Linux code could use current-speed to know if it should program the
registers.  I.e., if current-speed is present and non-zero, then leave the
frequency registers alone.  Otherwise u-boot or whatever might not have
programmed the I2C controller and the driver can do what it's doing now.

I suppose. I was thinking that Linux could just check to see whether the current divider value appears to be valid, but it seems that all values including zero can be valid. :-(

When does the guest really care what the specific i2c bus frequency is, if it's not going to change it?

I don't know of a real reason.  Maybe an I2C device where the clock speed
makes a difference?  Maximum polling rate or something?  Is there reason
the CPU clock and the CCB frequency need to be in the device tree?

I'm fine with including it for informational purposes, it just doesn't seem quite as necessary.

-Scott