[moving this conversation back to the mailing list.  Don't forget to
use 'reply-all' on mailing list conversations.]

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Michael Guntsche <m...@it-loops.com> wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2009, at 22:53, Grant Likely wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Michael Guntsche <m...@it-loops.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Hi Grant,
>>>
>>> thanks for the help. As you might have already read, I can now boot with
>>> self-written DTS file based of the device-tree.
>>> My three questions still remain.
>>>
>>> * Why not more than 4MB during boot
>>
>> First, are you building a cuImage, or a uImage?  It sounds like you're
>> building a cuImage to work with an older version of U-Boot.  With a
>> newer version of u-boot you can pass u-boot a kernel image and a
>> device tree blob (.dtb) which doesn't have this limitation.
>>

> Ok, I am building a simpleImage right now, since the routerboard (RB600A)
> does not seem to have uboot in the nand.
> Reading through the documentation again it clearly states that the
> simpleimage just uses the provided DTS file and nothing else.

Ah, okay.  Yeah, simpleImage gets you going, but ultimately it isn't
what you need.  I wrote simpleimage when I was working with Xilinx
Virtex platforms when booting a kernel with absolutely no firmware
support.

> The bootloader is called RouterBoot.
> So what the Board does (according to the docs).
>
> * During start it searches for a partition of type 0x27 in one CF slot. If
> it finds the partition it expects a kernel in there and just boots it adding
> a few parameters.

So, what you need is a new adapter which parses the data passed in by
routerboot (maybe call it routerImage?) and modifies the .dtb blob to
match.  You can use simpleImage as a starting point.

>> There is no reason for the 4MB limit in a cuImage other than that is
>> what is specified by default in arch/powerpc/boot/wrapper.  You can
>> change it.  It is not ideal, and the wrapper could be made more
>> robust, but it is what we have for the moment.
>>

> If you are talking about link_address='0x400000'.
> I can increase this somewhat, if I Increase this too much I get a "Kernel
> region out of range" error from the boards bootloader apparently.
>
> To cut this short. I do need uboot on the board for either cuImage or uImage
> support, right?

Yes, uImage and cuImage.* are u-boot specific.  You need a routerboard
specific image.

> Since the routerboard does have its own bootloader and I have not tried if
> it is able to use a cuImage right now, is there another way to add the TBI
> entries?

TBI?

> Can't I just add them in the rbppc.c specific init stuff programmatically
> withouth a DTS file?

You need a device tree.  You could theoretically generate the entire
tree programmatically, but that is the long way around.  What you want
is a base .dts file and a new bootwrapper to fill in the missing bits
at boot time.

Cheers,
g.

--