Hello Scott,

Thank you for your support.

     After struggling for several days with this issue we have finally
taken a different approach to solve our problem. We wanted to interface
our CPU (MPC8265) with a FPGA through a serial connection. Now, we are
using a parallel interface through the data bus (defining a new memory
region in uboot -an additional chip select).

     We tried enabling SCC's and SMC's through the kernel configuration
in ltib, but we were always getting the same tty devices device under
"/dev". No matter how many SCC's or SMC's we enable we were always
getting only /dev/ttyCPM0 and /dev/ttyCPM1. To answer your question,
when I said it did not allow me to configure a tty port through minicom,
I meant it complained because the device was not found.

     However, as I said before, we managed to enable it in uboot using
SMC2 as console. The problem we found was that for some reason in uboot
the code is organized in several places to enable either SCC or SMC (but
only as console). We could not find any configuration option to enable
SCC1 as console and SMC2 as serial port at the same time. We tried going
through the uboot code to enable both, but their configuration is
exclusive in several places (only one of them can be enabled at the same
time).

    Due to time constraints, we decided to change our design approach as
stated before (parallel interface).

Thank you again for your help.

--
Andres F Marquez