On Oct 8, 2009, at 3:23 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

<<
• Reference and change bit updates—The MPC850 does not generate an exception for an R (reference) bit update. In fact, there is no entry for an R bit in the TLB. The change bit (C) is bit 23 in the level-two descriptor, described in Table 8-4. Software updates C (changed) bits, but hardware treats the C bit (negated) as a write-protect attribute. Therefore, attempting to write to a page marked unmodified invalidates that entry and causes an implementation-specific DTLB error exception.
If change bits are not needed, set the C bit to one by default in the PTEs.

How interesting....

I've looked at many 8xx docs and they all have the same text
(probably cut/paste :-))  I'd place some debug code in the C functions
to print out a few of the TLB Entry for various errors to see if this really
happens, and for other errors, too.  I guess I never stumbled into
this because I always thought I had to do everything from software,
so just made sure I did.

        -- Dan