I've had problems with the mpt2sas driver
(drivers/scsi/mpt2sas/mpt2sas_base.c) when using it on my
ppc44x.  Basically, there is a check in the code for
BITS_PER_LONG and certain code is executed if it is 64 vs 32
bit.  I am guessing it is a problem with the driver but it
only shows up on powerpc.  If i force it to take the 64 bit
path it works fine, but if I let the preprocessor decide it
will take the 32 bit path and fail later.  I am not
configuring my kernel as 64 bit, but I am guessing this has
to do with the 36 bit plb bus on these parts.

can somebody enlighten me as to what the right thing to do
here is?

thanks
ayman