On 05/24/2012 11:28 AM, Timur Tabi wrote:
David Daney wrote:
Yes.  You may note in the DTS file I attached in the parent (sorry for
the fubar mime types), that there are two, almost identical, MDIO
masters.  smi0 has two directly attached PHYs.  smi1 goes to the mux,
and each child of the mux has four attached PHYs.

I'm till have trouble understanding all this.  I'm just hacking things up
in order to help me understand it, but it's a slow and painful process.

This call in mdio_mux_init() is failing:

        parent_bus = of_mdio_find_bus(parent_bus_node);

Well, the MDIO bus must have an associated device tree node.

For my OCTEON code, the MDIO bus device is created as a result of the call to of_platform_bus_probe(), which takes care of filling in all the device tree nodes of the devices it finds and creates.

It returns NULL.  Here is my MDIO node:

                fman0: fman@400000 {
                        enet0: ethernet@e0000 {
                                tbi-handle =<&tbi0>;
                                phy-handle =<&phy0>;
                                phy-connection-type = "sgmii";
                        };

                        mdio0: mdio@e1120 {
                                gpios =<&gpio0 0 0
                                        &gpio0 1 0>;

                                tbi0: tbi-phy@8 {
                                        reg =<0x8>;
                                        device_type = "tbi-phy";
                                };

                                phy0: ethernet-phy@1c {
                                        reg =<0x1c>;
                                };
                        };
                };

What am I missing?

For starters, I do not see any compatible properties that would allow the proper drivers to be bound to anything.

Also I see no MDIO mux node there, so it is unclear why you are even asking these questions.

David Daney