On Sat, 2014-01-04 at 14:34 +0800, Kevin Hao wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 06:49:09PM -0600, Scott Wood wrote:

> > > There is bug in this patch series when booting above the 64M. It seems
> > > that I missed to test this previously. Sorry for that. With the following
> > > change I can boot the kernel at 0x5000000.
> >
> > I tried v4 and it still doesn't work for me over 64M (without increasing
> > the start of memory).  I pulled the following out of the log buffer when
> > booting at 0x5000000 (after cleaning up the binary goo -- is that
> > something new?):
> >
> > Unable to handle kernel paging request for data at address 0xbffe4008
>
> Actually there still have one limitation that we have to make sure
> that the kernel and dtb are in the 64M memory mapped by the init tlb entry.
> I booted the kernel successfully by using the following u-boot commands:
>   setenv fdt_high 0xffffffff
>   dhcp 6000000 128.224.162.196:/vlm-boards/p5020/uImage
>   tftp 6f00000 128.224.162.196:/vlm-boards/p5020/p5020ds.dtb
>   bootm 6000000 - 6f00000

OK, that was it -- I hadn't set fdt_high and thus U-Boot was relocating
the fdt under 64M.

We should probably be using ioremap_prot() (or some other mechanism) to
create a special mapping, rather than assuming the fdt is covered by the
initial TLB entry.  That doesn't need to happen as part of this
patchset, of course, as it's not a new limitation.

> > I'm having a hard time following the logic here.  What is PAGE_OFFSET -
> > offset supposed to be?  Why would we map anything belowe PAGE_OFFSET?
>
> No, we don't map the address below PAGE_OFFSET.
>     memstart_addr is the physical start address of RAM.
>     start is the kernel running physical address aligned with 64M.
>
>     offset = memstart_addr - start
>
> So if memstart_addr < start, the offset is negative. The PAGE_OFFSET - offset
> is the virtual start address we should use for the init 64M map. It's above
> the PAGE_OFFSET instead of below.

Oh.  I think it'd be more readable to do "offset = start -
memstart_addr" and add offset instead of subtracting it.

Also, offset should be phys_addr_t -- even if you don't expect to
support offsets greater than 4G on 32-bit, it's semantically the right
type to use.  Plus, "int" would break if this code were ever used with
64-bit.

If you're OK with these changes, I can fix it while applying.

-Scott