On Sun, 1 Feb 2015, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 4:39 AM, Finn Thain wrote:

> > > Indeed.

> > > Yes, that would be great.
> > >

> > Unfortunately, it seems to be unworkable.
>
> An alternative could be to just provide an nvram attribute file in
> sysfs, like many RTC drivers do.

Are attribute files seekable? Even if userspace could use "/dev/nvram" and
"/sys/whatever/nvram" interchangably, wouldn't it be better if PPC Macs
and 68k Macs offered a consistent API to userspace?

And your suggestion doesn't solve the problem, that is, to be able to
build a multi-platform kernel binary in which drivers can access NVRAM.

The __nvram_read_byte(), nvram_read_byte() etc functions defined in
drivers/char/nvram.c, if allowed to proliferate because random
architectures might like to use a generic /dev/nvram API, would further
uglify that file.

If the m68k Mac kernel doesn't define the nvram_read_byte() routine then
valkyriefb can't use it. (fbdev drivers are apparently the reason why
powerpc defines them.)

drivers/char/nvram.c has two sets of these routines for PC RTC NVRAM; one
for m68k (Atari) and one for arm/x86. We don't want to introduce more code
into drivers/char/nvram.c to support all four configurations:
1) arm/x86
2) atari
3) atari + mac
4) mac

So we'd end up having to move m68k-specific code out of
drivers/char/nvram.c, to make it generic. And that then begs all of the
questions in my previous message.

BTW, my experimental patches replaced all of those __nvram_* and nvram_*
functions with an ops struct. E.g.

$ cat include/linux/nvram.h
#ifndef _LINUX_NVRAM_H
#define _LINUX_NVRAM_H

#include <uapi/linux/nvram.h>

struct nvram_ops {
        ssize_t         (*read)(char *, size_t, loff_t *);
        ssize_t         (*write)(char *, size_t, loff_t *);
        unsigned char   (*read_byte)(int);
        void            (*write_byte)(unsigned char, int);
        ssize_t         (*get_size)(void);
#ifdef CONFIG_PPC
        void            (*sync)(void);
#else
        long            (*set_checksum)(void);
        long            (*initialize)(void);
#endif
};

extern const struct nvram_ops arch_nvram_ops;

extern const struct nvram_ops rtc_nvram_ops;

#endif  /* _LINUX_NVRAM_H */

This experiment has m68k implement arch_nvram_ops that dispatch to Atari
or Mac methods (at compile-time for a single-platform kernel, or at
run-time for a multi-platform kernel binary).

But this implies modifications to fbdev drivers, PPC32 and PPC64, nvram
and generic_nvram modules. And any work at all done on generic_nvram seems
to be misguided, unless it is removal.