On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 02:34:22PM +0200, Richard Cochran wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 01:53:12PM +0200, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> > Ok. So what is the new option supposed to do? Reduce the noise in the
> > offset? An easy way to do that I think would be to reduce the PI
> > constants.
>
> Really, the frequence offset is zero (or at least less that 1 ppb!).
> The very first Sync message gives the phase offset, and after that
> first jump both offsets stay zero forever.

Is it not possible that the offset will change when there is some
restart or reconfiguration in the PTP network?

> The option is supposed to tell ptp4l, just set the frequency offset to
> zero and then leave it there.  Actually, the reseting to zero is
> important, just in case a previous run without SyncE had set some
> offset.

Would happen anything bad if the servo set the frequency to a non-zero
value?

The servos need to be able to adjust the frequency to correct offsets
smaller than the step threshold. If adjusting frequency is not
allowed, the only option would be to always step.

--
Miroslav Lichvar