On 7 Dec 2017 at 18:47, Keller, Jacob E wrote:

> > => the Intel NIC hardware is possibly sensitive to "irrelevant"
> > contents in the traffic. I can come up with the following candidate
> > culprits/theories:
> > - absence of the VLAN tag
> > - correction values of 10-20 ms
> > - other mcast traffic interfering
> > - higher/different actual jitter in the messages?
> >
> > > Which device (and driver) are you using? (I can't see it in the history).
> > >
> > On the ptp4l client?
> > The PC is a pre-production engineering sample panel PC by Arbor/TW,
> > with Intel Skylake mobile, the NIC that I'm using is an i219LM
> > integrated on the mothereboard (not sure if this has a MAC on chip
> > within the PCH/south, or if it's a stand-alone NIC). Of the two Intel
> > NIC chips, this one is more precise. The kernel is a fresh vanilla
> > 4.13.12 and the e1000e driver came with it.
> > I'm attaching a dump of dmesg and lspci. Ask for more if you want.
> >
> > Frank Rysanek
>
> Do you know the packet rate for Tx packets? (How often is it
> requesting timestamps)? There was a recent-ish problem I believe we
> fixed but it appears to be in 4.13: 5012863b7347 ("e1000e: fix race
> condition around skb_tstamp_tx()", 2017-06-06), but that definitely
> should be in the 4.13 kernel..
>
> There should also be statistics you can check in ethtool stats on the
> device. Could you try checking if tx_hwtstamp_timeouts is
> incrementing? Also whether tx_hwtstamp_skipped?
>
> Thanks,
> Jake

Dear Mr. Keller, thanks for your immediate responses and for the job
that you're doing on the drivers. You have my deepest respect.

Yes that patch is in my e1000e driver:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/758160/
That's the patch mentioned in the subject of this e-mail thread :-)

ptp4l sends one PDelay Request per second, and answers one
PDelay Request received from the upstream switch (per second).
That's three PTP messages transmitted per second.
There is no other TX traffic on that same port.

About ethtool stats - I now understand that you mean the output of
ethtool -S, namely the lines
     tx_hwtstamp_timeouts: 0
     tx_hwtstamp_skipped: 0
     rx_hwtstamp_cleared: 0
This is what they look like now, that the error does not occur.
In a few days I will probably have a chance to try it in the field
again, on a PTP TC switch wih GOOSE flooding the network... that's
where the misbehavior was most stubborn. Well now I know what to look
at :-) I'll report more numbers when I have some.

BTW do you know what volume of RX buffers does the i219LM have on
chip? Or its companion MAC integrated in the PCH, if the i219 is just
a PHY.

Frank Rysanek