On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 07:36:45PM +0000, Daniel Le wrote:
> I have frequent synchronization issue on a PTP ordinary clock which
> has Linux kernel 3.18.12 and LinuxPTP v1.6. It runs in slave mode
> with software timestamping.

You didn't tell us what hardware your are using: platform, NIC, driver?

> To force the problem to occur every time, I change the system clock
> to be approximately 5 minutes ahead of PTP Grandmaster clock. In the
> following, the (enhanced) log messages show ptp4l correctly steps
> the system clock with the observed offset, then transitions into
> SERVO_LOCKED state, however the master offset as seen by ptp4l keeps
> increasing afterwards. The slew and PI reset operations seem not to
> be able to keep up.

After stepping the clock, the offset remains the same.  Your system
clock or the MAC driver is somehow broken.

Also, the frequency estimation that occurs between UNCALIBRATED and
SLAVE runs off the scale.  Is your local oscillator really that bad?

No idea how your computer could be so messed up.

Sorry,
Richard