Hi,

Due to organizational restrictions, we are forced to use an
implementation of OpenSSH that does not allow for it to be run in a
chroot jail natively. I have run ldd against all the necessary
programs, but cannot seem to get the jail setup properly. When I try
to run sshd, I get the following error:

Privilege separation user sshd does not exist

The /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files both contain this user.

To troubleshoot this, I copied su into the environment and receive
this error when I try to su to root (as root):

su: user root does not exist

The permissions on the /etc/passwd file are set to 644 and /etc/shadow
is set to 400.

I don't understand why these files are not being processed. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Scott