On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 4:20 AM, Nadeem M. Khan <nadeem.m.k...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 10:40 AM,
> gouravjo...@gmail.com<gouravjoshi%40gmail.com>
> <gouravjo...@gmail.com <gouravjoshi%40gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> > I would like you to visit topic "Script for counting entries in a mysql
> database table" on Linux Questions, Help, Howtos and Tutorials. To view it,
> please click this link:
> >

> http://www.linuxquestions.in/bash-scripting/script-for-counting-entries-in-a-mysql-database-table/
>
> can't this be gotten by a simple
> select count(*) from table_name;
> ?

Yes my friend, definitely you can do that way, but if someone have 100s
number of tables and want the count then with this method do you think any
system admin will waste time. Running this command manually will spare so
much of time, where with this script you just have to tell the script which
DB and it will give you output in a file which can be imported in spread
sheet.

This is just to make our work easier. That's it.

Have a nice time,
Gourav Joshi
Have a look at www.linuxquestions.in

<*> Your email settings: