I don't know where they came from.  I think some Wacom literature only
lists inches so there could be a rounding error.  But usually they
list both and I'm pretty sure they convert from cm to inch.

In Calibration on the HOW TO page you can see me manually testing my
D1 with xinput test (as you described earlier) and it came out to 0,0
14720,9200.  I think that's probably better than you'd do with
xinput_calibrator.

The D5 tester did say "I tried copying the parameters from device 0xD4
and the tablet seems to be working with its most basic
functionalities. How lucky!"  After I had him redo with the submitted
patches he was happy that it was working so well and reported
everything was good.  I wouldn't feel real comfortable asking him to
do a calibration with xinput test.  I did ask that he pay special
attention to calibration.  But if it isn't short how likely is it he'd
notice it?

Dave