The X server has had multi-touch support for a while now, and most newer
wacom devices seem to have some limited multi-touch capability, so it
would be nice to take advantage of that.  So far there is no support for
multi-touch in the xf86-input-wacom driver, although the kernel driver
does support it (when paired with xf86-input-evdev).  So there are two
possible routes for getting multi-touch support with wacom:

(1) Add multi-touch support to xf86-input-wacom
(2) Ditch xf86-input-wacom and use evdev instead

Option (1) causes unnecessary code duplication in my opinion (and it
doesn't seem like anybody is willing to do the legwork for this anyway),
so that leaves (2).  But evdev is not ready to take over the stylus part
of the driver right now: it doesn't filter out spurious events (that
arguably should be caught by the kernel driver anyway), it doesn't treat
pressing multiple buttons correctly and it lacks many of the options the
wacom driver currently has.
But as far as I know, the touch driver doesn't have any such problems.
The only thing it currently does that evdev doesn't is that dreadful
driver-side gesture recognition, which could (and should!) trivially be
replaced by an X client [1].

With the patch allowing the wacom driver not to grab the event device
that's been posted to the list, it's now possible to get the best of
both worlds:  To use xf86-input-wacom for the stylus and
xf86-input-evdev for touch.  This seems to be working fine for me
(modulo some bugs in the X server that Ubuntu quantal currently ships
with), so I'm wondering if this should be the way forward.

Tom

[1]
http://who-t.blogspot.com/2012/01/multitouch-in-x-touch-grab-handling.html