I think the main thing was the price. IBM had a
couple of debacles in it's time too. I picked up,
which required considerable effort, a System
23/Datamaster recently. Released almost simultaneously
with the PC. Cost about 10 grand. Then there was the
68000 based lab computer (O so you didn't know IBM
used the 68k!). Also about 10 grand IIRC.