> The text still assumes that an ELP must be returned.

That is correct.

> Just replace the words:
>
>    “which returns a ELP-based locator record for a path to RTR 'y', and
> encapsulates packets…"

The example is illustrating nesting so I believe it is not needed.

> I think a unique term makes more sense, but this is not a blocking point.

It is a unique term. The term S-EID is used in all the multicast drafts to
describe an (S,G).

> This is exactly the point. I do not see an alternate path. I see only an
> alternate tunnel.
> The current text is still confusing. You want "to route around the path from
> B to C” and to do it you route "through link B—>C”. This looks like a
> contradiction to me.

B and C have other links. Don’t you see the link between B and X. That is
“another” path.

> The sentence remains superfluous. Of course you can do it with ODL, but this
> is out of the scope of the IETF and I do not see why it should be there.
> The other LISP documents never mention a provision system, so why this one
> has to mention it? Is there a compelling reason?

Because in other cases ETRs register their own RLOCs because they know them.
With an ELP, a provisioning system knows the topology and can register all the
addresses in the ELP.  It has a broader view.

There are deployments that take an ISIS topology, compute paths offline as an
SDN controller, and can build an ELP path based on policy rules (where
re-encapsulation points can be placed in the network).

Dino