James Boren wrote:
> Not so much on grand plotting, but to me, Tomino excels in characters
> and setting. I love his little aside with the characters, that don't
> serve the plot, but bring the characters to life. I'm reminded of a
> scene where the crew of the Zelana are having dinner.

If something brings the charas to life, that IS serving the plot.  I
was watching To Kill a Mockingbird the other day and while some scenes
were out-of-date (kids speaking lines that are too obviously written
by adults) there are some examples of lost art of film making.  The
cut of Gregory Peck sitting on the porch saying nothing is the kind of
things you don't see any more.

Tomino can do it well, from time to time.  I don't know the scene of
Zelana crew at dinner, but I can well imagine it.  It's perhaps just
as good as the scene(s) of the White Base crew imprisoned on Luna II.

I kept referring to the "acting" of the charas like Mirai and Bright. 
Both are good at telling a whole story without saying a word, or even
without moving a muscle.

But Tomino had done it badly too, from time to time.  I consider Four
and Camille's shopping and enjoying an ice cream one of the low points
of Gundam.  I know what Tomino wanted to do with the scene and I think
it could be done well, but he screwed it up in execution.  I might
even go as far as saying Four's arc was plagued by a lack of subtlety.

> With shorter time to work with, Tomino has to cut the subtle
> character and setting stuff and the work feels confused and rushed as
> a result.

Perhaps you are right.  But I have to wonder out loud, perhaps the
studio's decision to cut short 0079's season was A Good Thing.  Tomino
got his acts (literally) together and made the last third of the tv
series a masterpiece.

> Aura power users can sense and identify the aura of others which is a
> common newtype power as well. Aura power maybe the power and

Both are somewhat supernatural abilities that gifted individuals can
sense and/or manipulate.  If that's all you need to lump them
together, then won't you also include SW's Force, X-Men's mutant
power, ST/B5's psychics, and many of "real" life's chi gong, psychics,
paganism, etc?

To put on a "scientific approach" to look at Aura and Newtype, I would
argue that NT is (or should be) a form of signalling or communication.
 As if NT's are able to exploit the "hidden variables" in
Schrodinger's wave function (another way to say it that NT's can
exploit the EPR paradox).
  http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/HiddenVariables.html

Whereas Aura is a new form of energy or energy-analogue.  A way to
think of this is infrared radiation.  All living things give out IR
radiation (by being warm) but we can't control it or exploit it.  Many
animals use it to detect or locate prey, plants sense it and adapt
metabolically.  What if some small minority of humans has a heightened
sense of IR and can control their IR emission?  Won't they be very
similar to Aura users?  That explains also the human-machine
interface.  In real life, we do make a lot of IR sensors and emitters.
 We even make IR goggles so "normal" humans can see in the dark.

> ammunition of Aura Battlers on paper, but in practice it seems like
> it is Newtype power raised to extreme levels.

I must honestly admit your argument is irrefutable.  As NT power did
in fact become extreme in many post-OYW series.  I have certain
theories about NT powers as seen in Zeta that may still be consistent
with my "communication" hypothesis.  But when it get to ZZ/CCA, all
bets are off.

--
Dr. Core
--------------------------------------------------
The Gundam Mailing List MK-II [email protected]

Archives: http://www.gundam.com/gml
    Help: Email [EMAIL PROTECTED] with this in
          the BODY: help list

Reply via email to