I'm trying to find a clean sample of the 'newtype flash' sound effect. I've
been using some tools to root through my PSX G Gen games to extract sound
effects, but with literally 1500+ sound effects it is difficult, especially
given that I'm not entirely sure they are even stored there.

Failing that, the other option is to try and extract the audio from one of
the TV episodes or movies. I've got (or have access to) the original MSG
trilogy, Zeta, CCA, Seed, and G. The former 3 I am positive it should appear
'somewhere' but I haven't found it yet. Some googling says some later
episode of G actually features the newtype flash sound. I believe it also
appeared (with Mwu?) in Seed at least once. Anyone remember where
approximately (in terms of episode, and preferably scene) I could find some
samples to check?

Much appreciated

Nicholas