On 22/09/2011 15:32, Adam Thompson wrote:

David Brown<da...@westcontrol.com>  wrote:
For those who are forced to use Outlook, but want to be part of
the sane world of bottom-posted text-only mailing lists, I have
heard that this
works:<http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/>.  I
haven't tried it myself, and I don't know anything about version
compatibility or other details, but maybe it will help you.

That add-on only works for Outlook<= 2003, and only handles plaintext
email.  Outlook 2003 and newer can do the Right Thing with plaintext
emails by themselves.  I have not been able to discover any add-on
that works for HTML.

Surely the Right Thing for a mailing list is plain text anyway - if you are going to use HTML, then you might as well join the rest of the sheeple and top-post.

I only joined this mailing list a couple of days ago - is it usual for threads to wander so off-topic? (I believe I've got the answers I needed for my original questions, plus a few answers to questions I didn't ask.)

OTOH, someone explained how to do it on Android, by installing the
K-9 email client - it's an extra few UN-obvious steps but at least
it's possible.  Of course, the K-9 client isn't compatible with
Exchange 2010, and it doesn't appear to be available for older
Android phones.

-Adam