After converting a network of computers to use a fairly popular 3rd party email
service (not my decision unfortunately), users are experiencing very odd issues
with email (POP and SMTP based). The 3rd party says we should try different
ports, increase timeouts, etc...  and they sometimes take days to admit they
themselves have an issue (after we have jumped through their hoops).

One of the issues is email taking a while to be sent out of the network to the
3rd party SMTP servers... in many cases, items sit in Outlook... with
recipients complaining that they received multiple copies of the same email.

Anyone have any advice on how to solve this problem?

My thought are:

1.       Is there an SMTP server that can run on pfSense 2.0? I would like to
be able to monitor the queue, etc...  My hope is that the client computers
would stop failing/timing out/multiple deliveries and that pfSense would just
act as the active sender SMTP server. But I need to be able to manage it
easily. Does anything exist?

2.       How can I monitor in real-time and after the fact on specific
dates/times which of the end user desktop computers is utilizing the most
traffic? Basically, I want to see if someone is downloading a large file,
sending a huge attachment or who is streaming music, etc...

I do not have traffic shaping enabled... the reasoning is that the connection
has bursting and it seems unpredictable on the busts speeds so I would prefer
not to limit connection just to throttle it (unless of course, I'm not thinking
this through correctly).

Any advice or suggestions?

Regards,

Chuck