-----Original Message-----
From: list-boun...@lists.pfsense.org [mailto:list-boun...@lists.pfsense.org]
On Behalf Of Mehma Sarja
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:39 AM
To: list@lists.pfsense.org
Subject: Re: [pfSense] Odd circumstances

On 11/29/11 5:49 AM, Ryan Rodrigue wrote:
> What is the IP for the WAN interface on the PFsense box?  Is it in the
> same subnet for the LAN?  If it is, change the lan subnet to something
else.
> Routers route based on subnets.  If both of its interfaces are the
> same, it doesn't know how to route.

I also thought that might be the problem - i.e. the LAN addresses and
WAN/gateway IP's are being addressed as one network. But the /24 only covers
the last octet of the IP address - i.e. 255.255.255.0 netmask.

LAN 192.168.100.100/24-----WAN 192.168.15.10/24=====192.168.15.1 gateway
(The /24 WAN netmask is to include the gateway IP in the default gateway
selection for DNS server. A /32 was problematic)

Going to simplify the network by
LAN 192.168.100.100/24-----WAN DHCP=====modem gateway

Mehma

You are correct that these are on different subnets.  Your method of double
nattng should work, but isn't the bast way to do things.  Double natting
usually causes problems.