Von: list-boun...@lists.pfsense.org [mailto:list-boun...@lists.pfsense.org] Im
Auftrag von Karl Fife
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2012 06:12
An: list@lists.pfsense.org
Betreff: [pfSense] Dynamic DNS force update?

Is there a way to force the Dynamic DNS client to post an update?
It would appear that the only way to do this is to change the IP address bound
to the montored interface.
My question very specifically is, is it possible to force an update WITHOUT
changing the interface address?

I have a remote installation where I want to configure the DDNS client, and
currently the DNS server currently has the WRONG address, so naturally I would
like the correction to be performed by the DDNS client as a validation of the
initial configuration.  The problem is that the client will not post an update
because it ONLY looks to see if the cached IP value on the interface has not
changed.  It does not (for example) look to the DNS host to see if there's a
mismatch.

Disabling/Enabling the client will NOT trigger an update because it still
relies only on the cached value of the interface.
DELETING and re-creating the client entry completely will also fail to trigger
an update for the same reason.

Obviously I can't release the remote WAN IP address from the interface because
I would lose my connectivity.

Is there a way to clear this cached value, or force an update? Maybe from the
command line?

Can I put in a plea to include a 'force update' button, in a future release, or
preferably have the client just automatically dip the DNS host to check to see
if there is an initial IP mismatch?   At a minimum it seems this should happen
at the creation of the client, perhaps also when settings are changed or when
the client is bounced.

If you have an urge to say "Just go change the A record the first time", please
sit on your hands. :-)

Thanks!
-K