Am 24.04.2012 09:32, schrieb Chris Buechler:
Nothing formal. To date, once we put out a new release, all prior
releases will not get any updates. That will probably especially be
true going forward, with much shorter release cycles than we had from
1.2.3 to 2.0, and much fewer changes, hence much less risk of
upgrading.

In that case, I'm really curious if in-place upgrading will work for me on the newer releases... otherwise I see a lot more work headed my way. :-/

[...]Never seen a need for maintaining older
releases, especially given the resources it would take to do so. If
there were legit reasons (eg. anything other than "I don't want to
upgrade") to stay on a particular release behind the most recent, we
would reconsider that, but historically that's never been the case.

Well, I understand that you have limited resources - we all have - but how about, say, a 3-month timeframe after a release, just to get more user feedback if the new release works as intended or might require a point release to patch a flaw that slipped through in the beta-testing phase?

I've seen things crop up like that even though stuff was tested for a while before being released, usually because there was one weird real-world scenario that didn't occur in the limited user base one has that is willing to run beta software on production or production-like systems.

So, to sum it up: I don't like the idea of being stuck on a vulnerable, outdated version of pfSense, but I also don't like the idea of having to roll out a release that I don't have a warm and fuzzy gut feeling about because I haven't seen it running in production for a while.

Do you see where I'm coming from? :-)

-Stefan