I obtained a couple of Tenda W322U to use as access points after finding
reports that they work well with pfsense. ralink chipset, run driver.

Initially everything's perfect - plug in, device shows up and can be
configured. Needs an entry in loader.conf.local but hey.

Then the kernel panics - not something I've ever seen with pfsense.
Worse, pfsense goes belly-up on reboot (I pulled the stick out thinking
it might be the cause, which is how I found out about loader.conf)
because of some interface nonsense. I can live without wireless, but
would have expected the rest of pfsense to reboot to working order.

Crash then repeats, always when using the web interface.

I tried this on a different pfsense box, and somewhere on (intentional)
reboot there's another crash, but the system remains running.
Submitted crash report for this event.

Both boxes have been running fine for months/years before, and as it
happens on both, I'm tending to think software error.

Latest stable pfsense 2.0.1-release on both.

When it's not crashing it's running all fine and out of the box.

Is this a known problem?
And... is there a workaround?

Thanks muchly,

Volker

PS Submitted 2 crash reprots from yesterday by uploading them to
/var/crash.

The relevant config part:

<opt5>
        <descr><![CDATA[WIFI2]]></descr>