> lan1 192.168.9.0  <---> pfsense1 (client openvpn) <--> pfsense2
> (server openvpn) <--> lan 2 192.168.8.0

> /var/etc/openvpn/server1.conf

> route 192.168.9.0 255.255.255.0
> push "route 192.168.8.0 255.255.255.0"

This looks right.

> /var/etc/openvpn-csc/fw-target
>
> iroute 192.168.9.0 255.255.255.0

You're not pushing the route for the clients on the other side?
Also, you're not setting up a known tunnel interface, can't filter now...

> /var/etc/openvpn/client2.conf

> ifconfig 10.0.8.2 10.0.8.1
> route 192.168.8.0 255.255.255.0

No need for this, server can be authoritive for all configuration using ccd.

If you plan to filter eventually, do not use client-to-client, see:
http://lists.pfsense.org/pipermail/list/2012-July/002587.html

In a server config, a route statement adds a route to the local system routing
table.
A push route pushes one to a clients. These directives route packets from the
kernel
to the OpenVPN process The iroute directive routes to the specific client after.

I often see with client-to-client issues that tcpdump bring to light instantly.
If you
set the interface to listen on the pfsense box to the tun dev and start pinging
a remote
host, you can see if the traffic gets that far, then for example on the remote
host as
well. if you see it there, there is no return route likely etc. It usually
doesn't take long
to sort this out.

jlc