Hi there,

Here we've got a long standing problem with the Captive Portal, and I've
just checked with "2.1-BETA1 (amd64) built on Sat Feb 2 21:38:38 EST
2013" the problem remains, and we believe it was already present in 2.0,
at least for us.

It always takes ages to stop and start the CP correctly, because we have
to do it manually : the CP seems to start both an SSL and a normal
lighthttpd daemons, but for some reasons, in some yet unclear cases, the
pid of the SSL daemon isn't correctly written in /var/run/ : the file is
empty.

This problem causes stopping the CP to fail, because the SSL daemon
can't be stopped (its pid is unknown), and the Services page is not able
to launch the CP either, because since the pid file is empty, it doesn't
detect the CP is running correctly (or at least we think so).

What we do then usually is we manually kill the lighthttpd daemon and
remove the related files in /var/run/ if needed, then we restart it from
the Services page, and if both processes are up (it sometimes takes
several clicks on "Start CP"), we put the SSL daemon's pid into the
correct pid file in /var/run/

This way stopping the CP from the Services page works again, but the
real problem is when starting it : something is not always working
correctly and the pid file is empty. Why ? We don't know.

We also experience other problems, like user connections which never
expire, despite us having put an expiration time at 720 minutes : the
minicron job /etc/rc.prunecaptiveportal seems to die, leaving its lock
file in /tmp and so launching it manually without removing the lock file
first doesn't help. When remong the lock file and launching the job from
the command line it expires connections correctly. Not sure if it's
related or not to the above problem.

We are not seeking for a fix, since we've got a workaround, but we'd
like to know if other people experience the same problem or if we are
alone with this.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

--
Jérôme Alet - <jerome.a...@univ-nc.nc> - Direction du Système d'Information
      Université de la Nouvelle-Calédonie - BPR4 - 98851 NOUMEA CEDEX