I have been bashing my head against a wall trying to get Mobile IPSec (Mutual
PSK + Xauth) working on pfSense 2.0.2.  As I've reported previously here, I can
only get traffic to flow in both directions if I set "NAT Traversal" to "Force"
instead of "Enable" in the Phase 1 tunnel definition.  Non-NATted connections
will only route traffic from the client to the VPN, not vice versa.

I discovered subsequently in the pfSense "Mobile IPsec on 2.0" document
(http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Mobile_IPsec_on_2.0) that the description of
how to set up Mobile IPSec on 2.0 also lists "NAT Traversal: Force" under the
Phase 1 section.  Is this a hard requirement in 2.0.X?  If so, is this due to
bugs/limitations in the version of racoon/ipsec-tools used in 2.0.X?  My
experience of 2.0.X is that it correctly detects whether a client is behind a
NAT for "NAT Traversal: Enable" but traffic only flows bidirectionally in the
case of clients behind a NAT (i.e., NAT-T is enabled).

Does this problem still exist in 2.1?

Cheers,

Paul.