On 03/17/2013 02:14 PM, Chris Bagnall wrote:
On 17/3/13 6:38 pm, Gerald Waugh wrote:
thanks for the response, I have ports set for '*' any
I moved this rule to the top of the rules list
TCP/UDP * * * * * none Internet to servers

Out of curiosity, have you tried protocol = * rather than just TCP/UDP?

Just an outside chance that your mail configuration is verifying the existence of the target server using ICMP first before connecting - it would be an unusual requirement to say the least, but there's no harm giving it a try...

Would also be curious to know if this problem is happening when connecting to *any* mail server from Outlook, or whether it's connecting to a specific server.

thanks for the reply, at your suggestion tried '*" any for protocol. no help
I did have a rule to pass icmp
I deleted all rules other than the pass rule for '*' any. Still Outlook does not work, but thunderbird does work if I disable rules with 'pfctl -d' Outlook works fine. so makes me think the email server is OK.

with firewall enabled: maillog reads "dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (no auth attempts): rip lip
    doesnt give a user name?
with firewall disabled: maillog reads "dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<user>, method=PLAIN, rip, lip, mpid