On 2013-04-12 13:18, Nathan C. Smith wrote:
A couple years ago when the topic of CPU hyper threading came up I remember
folks being advised to disable it.  Is that still the prevailing wisdom and
current best practice?

On P4 series CPUs, you should absolutely disable it.

On modern CPUs, there are a few types of loads where it might actually help, but generally it seems reasonably harmless, but I haven't seen much indicating it's beneficial to disable it, so I leave it enabled on my servers and workstations.

On pfSense, however, I'd almost be inclined to disable it. pfSense is rarely CPU-bound (unless you do a lot of high speed VPN connections or proxying), but pfSense is latency sensitive and Hyperthreading might actually increase latency very slightly.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/