On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:48 PM, <pfu...@hushmail.com> wrote:

> I recently traded some old computer equipment for an HP Proliant DL360 G3.
> Its a nice little rackmount with dual Intel Xeon 2.8GHz processors 3
> onboard gigabit NIC's and a PCI-X bus and 2 PCI-X expansion slots. Its
> light on RAM at only 512MB but thats easy to add to. So from what I could
> tell I should be able to get good thoughput with this machine running
> pfsense.
>
> I go to install as all the text flys past on my screen I notice several
> lines say something like
>
> acd0: FAILURE - READ BIG ILLEGAL REQUEST (some number I did not write
> down, not sure if this error message is relevant, I can try to catch the
> rest of the message and write it down if anyone needs it)
>
> I get that for about 4 or 5 lines but then everything continues fine. I
> select the option to install pfsense and I get an error stating I do not
> have any suitable IDE or SCSI drives to install pfsense on. I have two SCSI
> drives on, the only thing I can think is neither is big enough to install
> pfsense onto as they are smaller drives. I could not find hard drive space
> requirements online for pfsense, what does it need? The problem is HP has a
> warning right on the case that you are only supposed to use HP Universal
> U320 SCSI drives or server damage may result, which these are the only
> compatible drives I have. My second guess is maybe since the HP SCSI drives
> are so special maybe they don't work with pfsense.
>
> Any ideas?

If you look around online, you will find the "acd0 ..." message is
referring to read errors on the CD drive and that having some of these
errors is entirely normal (though having too many means that either the
disc is bad or the drive is bad).  You might try burning a new copy of the
CD, perhaps with a different brand of blank CD, to see if it helps.

As far as your problem with finding an available hard drive on which to
install, I doubt that it is a pfSense issue because FreeBSD 8 (on which
pfSense is based) is known to work on the Proliant DL360 G3.  The hard
drives are not special at all - they are standard SCSI Ultra320 drives on a
fancy HP "sled" (the only purpose of which is to make it easier to swap
them).  I would check if the machine is doing some kind of werid RAID setup
(or has some kind of RAID misconfiguration) that is preventing drives from
showing up.  I would also check if there is some kind of Hard Drive health
test (either built in to the BIOS or RAID controller, or on a live CD) to
make sure that the drives are working properly.

As far as Hard Drive size, pfSense can be installed on drives as small as
1GB (though more is recommended as log files grow over time), so the size
of your drives should not be an issue.

If you do need to get a new drive, the drives for this machine can be found
very cheaply on eBay, as many companies are now retiring the generation of
servers that used Ultra320 drives.

Moshe