From: list-boun...@lists.pfsense.org [mailto:list-boun...@lists.pfsense.org]
On Behalf Of Wade Blackwell
Sent: Saturday, October 26, 2013 4:00 PM
To: list@lists.pfsense.org; supp...@pfsense.org
Subject: [pfSense] 802.1q dhcp and pf 2.1 and esxi 5.0

Good afternoon all,

       I have 2.1-RELEASE (amd64) running on esxi 5.0 with a Cisco managed
L2 switch (SG200-26) in between esxi and the charter cable modem. I see my
dhcp discovers go out (broadcast) I never see any dhcp traffic come back.
Charter's been out a few times, they did determine that they see my discover
and they respond though I don't see the reply. With a dedicated interface
they can get an address off the modem. ASCII art below;

charter cable modem--g24 cisco vlan 5---esxi vlan5--pf em0.

I've tried this dedicating a vnic to a standalone vswitch with no 802.1q and
I've tried 802.1q on the esxi side. The cable modem port is always an access
port in vlan 5. STP has been disabled on the charter modem port. Every port
has portfast enabled and the mac timers have been cranked down to the
minimum, 10 seconds I believe. I've captured traffic from vlan 5 and g24
(cable modem port) and seen the same thing, dhcp discovers go out, nothing
comes back. I'm thinking there has to be a handful of folks on this list who
have dealt with this and succeeded. Any advice would be fabulous, I'd like
to keep my L3 in software if I can. Thanks so much.

      -W

--

Wade Blackwell
Solutions Architect