After some playing with it I've learned a few things. The gateway
groups appear to be irrelevant to my problem. Setting a gateway as DNS
server breaks the system. Reversing the setting doesn't fix the
problem because the self-referring route remains. I tried deleting the
route in the shell but I got an error that the route doesn't exist.
It's possible I got the syntax wrong: 'route del 10.1.0.253 gw
10.1.0.253'.

So removing the DNS server and rebooting the firewall is the only
remedy that I'm aware of.

As a bonus, when I was doing this, the default route didn't come up
properly after the reboot. Fortunately for me, the 10.1.0.253 route
was working at that point so I was able to come in the back door. This
is what I saw:

netstat -rn | grep pppoe0
0.0.0.0&0x4c0abf06 69.165.224.55      US          0        0 pppoe0
76.10.191.6        link#18            UH          0       10 pppoe0

I was able to ping the gateway, but nothing beyond it. Restarting the
pppoe session brought the default route up properly. I'm assuming this
was a one-off error and not related to the current topic of
discussion.

db