Hello,
You can limit speed by client. I do it by mac address, you can do it by ip
address in captive portal by Pass-through MAC or Allowed IP addresses.
Personally I use Pass-through MAC with limitation and it work very well.
Visibly you can Enable per-user bandwidth restriction in the first tab
(Captive portal)

For the total limitation I use Traffic Shaper by interfaces the WANx are
for upload and LAN if for download. You can put rules for QoS. the first
time you can use the Wizard, and modify queues after.

The limitations are :
- for download you can only limit for total of all connections (I have
multi-Wan : 5Wan with 10Mbits (5*10Mbps=50Mbps) so my limit for the LAN
queue is 48Mbits), it is recommended to put less than the real bandwidth to
never saturate you DSL connexion.
- I think it can be interesting to limit to a number of packets by second.
Because in DSL (I have test with ADSL in France) a big number of packets
increase ping almost if only half of the bandwidth is use.

If you have solution for this points don't hesitate ! Thanks

David